Not only are these little dudes super cute, kids can learn a lot about Brazilian culture by getting to know both mascots. You can read all about them on the official Rio 2016 site.
Vinicius, the Olympic Games mascot, is a mashup of Brazilian animals and was born in an "explosion of joy" when it was announced Rio would be hosting the games.
Tom, the Paralympics Games mascot, is a mixture of all the plants in the Brazilian rainforests. And in a celebratory spirit, was born out of an "explosion of happiness" when it was announced Rio would be hosting the games.
You can't not be cheerful when looking at these mascots.
A few ways to interact with Vinicius and Tom:
- Athletes of the Future: Take a quiz to find out what Olympic sport suits you best
- Facebook: Like Vinicius and Tom on Facebook to see what they're up to in Rio. (You can also look them up on Instagram!)
- Selfies: You may not be able to travel to Rio to watch the Games, but you can still take a selfie with the mascots!
- Watch: Watch the mini-episodes all about Vinicius and Tom's adventures
- Download a mask of either Vinicius or Tom to wear while you watch the games, or compete in your own!
- Color pictures of Vinicius and Tom in their beautiful home country of Brazil
- Construct your own paper mascot to keep you company as you cheer on Team USA
How is your family celebrating the Olympic Games? Do you watch together? Compete in your own? I'd love to know!
- try creating a DIY Olympic Torch
- see what Olympic athletes have visited Sesame Street!
- check out more ideas for celebrating the Summer Olympics on Pinterest
—Alaina Buzas, Contributor